Friday, November 30, 2012
The North Shore Fire Department's "Keeping the Wreath Red" program begins Saturday, and is a time to promote additional awareness of fire safety.
Saturday marks the beginning of this year’s "Keeping the Wreath Red" campaign from the North Shore Fire Department. The campaign highlights the importance of added home fire awareness during the holiday season. During the campaign, a wreath with red lights will be hung outside each of the five stations in the NSFD. If holiday decorations cause a fire, a red bulb will be switched out for a white bulb. “When we’re talking about the holiday season, there are extra hazards in place,” said Capt. John Maydak of the NSFD. These extra hazards are not solely related to decorations. According to Maydak, the most common cause of house fires is cooking. Some of the added hazards during the holiday season include: Several steps can be taken to prevent…
Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Carbon monoxide alarms go off while emergency crews help injured Sprecher employee. The facility was evacuated and ventilated. NSFD determined the gas was emanating from a forklift inside the brewery.
At 4:05 p.m. Wednesday, North Shore Fire Department crews were called to Sprecher Brewery in Glendale to help an employee when several kegs fell on top of him. The employee's injuries are not life-threatening, according to a press release from NSFD. However, while EMTs were tending to the injured employee, a carbon monoxide detector in the medical kit began to sound. Crews monitored the air-quality levels and reported readings as high as 120 parts per million (ppm). Emergency crews put on breathing equipment and evacuated the brewery. The building was ventilated, the report said, and no one complained of any symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning. Crews determined the carbon monoxide was coming from the exhaust of a forklift, …
Friday, November 2, 2012
The effort is designed to coincide with the end of daylight savings time this Sunday.
North Shore Fire/Rescue officials are hoping people will change their smoke detector batteries to coincide with the end of daylight savings time. “Nationally, 20 percent of all homes with smoke alarms do not have at least one smoke detector that works, mostly due to missing or dead batteries. This needs to change,” said North Shore Fire/Rescue Chief Robert Whitaker. “We want to see 100 percent of all homes with working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.” The move comes on the heels of new data showing that structure fires are on the rise in the North Shore this year to date compared to last year. “Taking five extra minutes this weekend to change out batteries in these devices could save a life, and it is well worth the small …
Thursday, September 20, 2012
Fire departments across Southeastern Wisconsin trained in mixed groups to rescue simulated fallen firefighters in situations where seconds mean the difference between survival and a memorial service.
Crawling across the floor of an enormous warehouse, a team of six firefighters from different departments follows a hose line toward what they hope is their fallen comrade. Simulating a "mayday" call, these firefighters are practicing Rapid Intervention Training where they attempt to rescue a fallen firefighter. “Occasionally, conditions on the scene change and firefighters find themselves in situations where they become the one needing help," North Shore Fire Assistant Chief Andrew Harris said in a press release. "This training helps us learn to recognize the signs that we may be in trouble and call for help early to ensure that we make it home to see our families." Along with the North Shore Fire Department, Cudahy, Franklin, Greendale…
Wednesday, September 19, 2012
Whitefish Bay will pay 17.25 percent of the fire department budget shared amongst the seven North Shore communities, after approving a three-year agreement.
Whitefish Bay will pay 17.25 percent of the North Shore Fire Department's budget for the next three years. NSFD is a shared service among seven communities: Bayside, Brown Deer, Fox Point, Glendale, River Hills, Shorewood and Whitefish Bay. The fire department doesn't have any taxing or borrowing authority, so each of the villages it serves contributes a percentage of funds for the fire department's operating and capital budgets. Five years ago, NSFD moved to a fixed fee formula so muncipalities would know what to budget for every year. The freeze ended this year, and NSFD proposed a permanent fee schedule. While the Whitefish Bay Village Board approved the fixed percentage proposal in July, village officials in Fox Point and River Hills …
Tuesday, September 4, 2012
Heavy Equipment Operator Robert Lewis is a third-generation firefighter. He publicly thanked his parents and said he's most proud that his mother and father were still alive to see him retire.
The fire bell rings and all police officers and firefighters snap to attention, standing tall and stiff, hands at their sides, eyes locked forward. As the firetruck rolls in, the siren is let loose in honor of North Shore Fire Department's Heavy Equipment Operator Robert Lewis' retirement after more than 30 years as a firefighter. Lewis is a third-generation firefighter with deep roots in Southeastern Wisconsin, beginning with his grandfather's time as a firefighter in Ixonia. Tuesday morning, dozens of Lewis' friends, family and co-workers attended a ceremony at NSFD Station 1 in Brown Deer. An official fire department escort brought Lewis to the station. As he stepped off Engine 1, he was welcomed by an official color guard, other …
Monday, September 3, 2012
Injuries not life-threatening in Monday morning fire that destroyed structure at 5707 Kent Ave.
When Mary Lehrmann came home from a walk with her dog Monday morning, the dog started barking at the garage behind their house at 5707 Kent Ave. After seeing smoke coming from the garage, she saw a neighbor standing nearby who had already called 911. The billows of smoke could be seen from as far away as the Pick 'n Save in Glendale. Two fire engines, two ambulances and police responded to the call at 10 a.m. Monday, said Pete Busalacchi, a battalion commander with the North Shore Fire Department. The storage unit in the upper rafters of the garage collapsed on one firefighter, who was taken to the hospital for non-life-threatening injuries, Busalacchi said. Another firefighter was taken to the hospital for exhaustion. No other people were…
Sunday, June 10, 2012
The new dispatch center is open for business, now supporting all seven North Shore communities for police and fire dispatching services.
Roughly 700 days after the first movement toward a Consolidated Dispatch Center, the Bayside Village Board stood in the new entry way for the official ribbon cutting ceremony. Robb DeGraff, Sam Dickman, Bill Hersch, Eido Walny, Michael Barth and James Petersen were all in attendance, along with members of both the village hall and police departments. The new center supports dispatching services for all seven North Shore communities including Bayside, Brown Deer, Fox Point, River Hills, Glendale, Shorewood, and Whitefish Bay. The Public Policy Forum awarded the North Shore Consolidated Dispatch Services with their "Intergovernmental Cooperation" award for the work it took to negotiate and come to agreement with all seven communities. But…
Thursday, June 7, 2012
Patch's media partners at Fox 6 have obtained a Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's report that gives more detail about the fire and the man whose life it claimed.
The man who died in a fire at a Whitefish Bay condominium complex has been identified as 43-year-old Timothy Alloway, according to a FOX 6 report: FOX 6 obtained a copy of the autopsy report from the Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office this morning. According to FOX 6, the Medical Examiner's investigation indicates Alloway was partying with friends the night before, and the fire was likely caused by food left cooking in the kitchen. The kitchen was completely destroyed. Related: Patch's initial reporting from Wednesday's fire. The report states Alloway was released from prison in March, where he had been incarcerated for bail jumping. The report also states, in 1995, Alloway was shot by Milwaukee police. Police thought he was …
Wednesday, May 30, 2012
FOX6 reported the death of Marvin Engler, who was in his home near the Glendale-Whitefish Bay border when it exploded on Saturday.
FOX6 reported Wednesday that the 88-year-old Glendale man whose home exploded on Saturday has died. Marvin Engler and another person were in the home when the blast destroyed it and damaged neighboring homes. A total of six people were injured, including a firefighter, two police officers and a passer-by. The other person in the house, who also was hospitalized, has requested that information about her condition not be released by Columbia St. Mary's Hospital. The State Fire Marshal could not determine a cause of the blast, but said foul play was not thought to be a factor. Insurance investigators are now looking into the evidence for more details.