Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Carbon monoxide alarms go off while emergency crews help injured Sprecher employee. The facility was evacuated and ventilated. NSFD determined the gas was emanating from a forklift inside the brewery.
At 4:05 p.m. Wednesday, North Shore Fire Department crews were called to Sprecher Brewery in Glendale to help an employee when several kegs fell on top of him. The employee's injuries are not life-threatening, according to a press release from NSFD. However, while EMTs were tending to the injured employee, a carbon monoxide detector in the medical kit began to sound. Crews monitored the air-quality levels and reported readings as high as 120 parts per million (ppm). Emergency crews put on breathing equipment and evacuated the brewery. The building was ventilated, the report said, and no one complained of any symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning. Crews determined the carbon monoxide was coming from the exhaust of a forklift, …
Friday, February 17, 2012
Fire officials say the couple was lucky they didn't fall victim to the silent killer, but others may not be so lucky.
“We were incredibly lucky,” Greg Wilde said, as he sat back in his chair and let out a deep breath. Lucky, that is, that an episode earlier this month didn’t prove fatal for him and his wife. As carbon monoxide poured into their Shorewood home in the 3500 block of North Shepard Avenue early in the morning on Feb. 4, the couple slept soundly in their bed. The level of carbon monoxide was much higher than what North Shore Fire Department officials say would typically take a human life in one hour. “It was a very sobering experience when the EMTs came in and the firefighters all said, ‘We can’t believe it, you’re so lucky,’” Greg said. Around 4 that morning, they say they woke up to an odd smell in the air, and went to their basement, which …
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
The latest reports from the North Shore Fire Department.
Last week, the North Shore Fire Department responded to 129 calls for service, 94 of which were EMS-related and 35 of which were fire or rescue-related. Here are some of the calls from Bayside, Fox Point, Shorewood and Whitefish Bay: Fox Point Bayside Shorewood Whitefish Bay
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Firefighters investigate four homes where the detectors were going off, but found no levels of the gas.
The North Shore Fire Department investigated four instances of carbon monoxide detectors activating in late November, but none reflected any presence of the deadly gas. According to reports: If you don’t have one of these detectors in your home, or need to learn more about why they’re important, the Environmental Protection Agency provides good resources on the subject.
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Starting Feb. 1, new state law requires every home to have a carbon monoxide detector.
Any Wisconsin homeowner who’s living without a carbon monoxide detector better get one soon, because starting Feb. 1, the Department of Commerce says it’s a mandatory device for every home. The new rule applies to one- and two-family homes, so split-level houses and duplexes are included. However, multi-family homes, like an apartment building, were already required to get detectors last year. Although the new rule appears to be a leap in the right direction, Wisconsin has actually fallen behind neighboring states like Illinois, Minnesota and Iowa, where carbon monoxide detectors are already required. “I’d say we’re playing a little bit of a catch-up game, but that’s kind of how things work,” says Matt Mertens, the Fire Inspector for the …