- Position sought: Milwaukee County Circuit Court - Branch 23
- Address: 5312 N. Santa Monica Blvd, Whitefish Bay
- Family: Husband, Bill, of 11 years, and two children, ages 8 and 4
- Education: Graduate of Marquette University and Marquette University Law School, as well as University School of Milwaukee
- Occupation: Deputy Register in Probate for Milwaukee County
- Related experience: As Deputy Register in Probate, I make judicial decisions from the bench on a daily basis. Prior to becoming Deputy Register for Milwaukee County, I was a lawyer in private practice. I was a partner at Drinka, Levine & Masson, and practiced family, real estate, business law and criminal law. Prior to that, I was a guardian ad litem for abused and neglected children at the Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee.
Why are you running for this office?
As a lawyer, I enjoyed being an advocate, especially for children in need. But I’ve always been more comfortable in the role of neutral arbiter, which I was first introduced to during my ten years as a Better Business Bureau of Wisconsin arbitrator. Now as Deputy Register in Probate and as an acting court commissioner making decisions from the bench, I know my skill set fits the role of decision maker.
In addition, I believe in public service. I’ve been fortunate in this life, blessed with a wonderful family, great children, strong parents and a comfortable lifestyle. It’s not enough for me to work just for myself and my family. I remain involved in the community through volunteer service as I value my responsibilities to others and the community.
Finally, I truly believe we need more dedicated women leaders. Less than one third of judges in Milwaukee are women, and I started running for judge in part because I wanted my daughter to see more women standing up in leadership roles in our community.
What will be your single most important priority if you get elected?
I will work to ensure that everyone who enters my courtroom will receive a fair day in court. I will ensure that the unique experience of each individual story is respected. For all litigants, the fate of their business, the structure of their family, their personal freedom are all at stake and I want to make sure as judge that those stories are heard by making listening my top priority. By listening, I can have confidence in the tough decisions I will have to make as a judge to keep our community safe.
What sets you apart from the other candidate?
I am the only candidate with experience on the bench, writing court orders, overseeing contested hearings, and making decisions in a judicial setting. Currently, I serve as Deputy Register in Probate. This appointed position is equivalent to a full-time Court Commissioner, and I routinely make decisions from the bench, including mental health commitments, adult adoptions, guardianships, protective placements, and other decisions.
In addition, I have been endorsed by 90 percent of the judges endorsing in this race. The vast majority of current judges on the Milwaukee County Circuit Court who’ve endorsed in this race are supporting me. They’ve evaluated the two candidates, and determined I’m most ready to take on the challenge of a judgeship. I am honored by that support, because I hope to be a valued member of the judicial team. I have also received the support of hundreds of attorneys, elected officials and community leaders.